The Top 5 Intramural Sports at ISU
It is the most coveted t-shirt on the Iowa State campus. It represents triumph and glory, determination and destiny. What is this epic piece of cotton, you may ask?
It’s the intramural championship t-shirt, and you can only get one by sweeping the competition in an intramural. You don’t have to be good. You don’t even have to know how to play the sport. All it takes is a team of friends and a winning attitude. Each sport is broken into leagues, depending on skill level (A-D), so you will always be in good company.
I’ve participated in a few competitions, all of which were a blast! There are a ton of options to choose from, both traditional and non-traditional. Lucky for you, I’ve comprised a short-list of sports that are sure to earn you that coveted championship t-shirt. Or at least sure to earn you a good time. 🙂
- Broomball | Perhaps one of Iowa State’s most beloved non-traditional sports, broomball is played on ice. The object is to hit the ball into the opposite goal with your broom-like stick. The fun part? You don’t wear skates. Speaking from experience, you are guaranteed to slip and fall and have a laugh at least once.
- Basketball | This traditional American favorite requires little experience. This semester, I am playing on a D-League team (Go Flying Ninja Squirrels!), and I’ve had a great time so far. Basketball just makes you feel like an ath-e-lete. It’s a workout!
- Flag Football | Another traditional favorite, flag football can get pretty intense. My lovely team from the fall semester and I powered through the first preliminary games, only to fall to a worthy opponent in the tournament. If you never got the chance to be the quarterback in high school, here is your opportunity. Steal some flags and take some names. 🙂
- Battleship H2O | As described by Iowa State Rec Services, the objective of Battleship H2O is as follows: “Teams of 3 will be in a canoe and will try to sink their opponents’ canoe (battleship) by trying to fill their canoe with water using a bucket.” Needless to say, this is on my bucket list of things to do before I graduate. [Pun intended.]
- Curling | You can now play this Olympic sport as an intramural. The object is to slide stones on ice toward a target area. This sport requires extreme precision, and is highly recommended by fellow Cyclone Life Blogger Nate. Is this your chance for the coveted championship t-shirt?!
So, fellow Cyclones, what sport will you earn that glorious t-shirt in? 😉