How to Maintain a Planner
Often times students come into the school year motivated to stay organized and get good grades. This a fantastic mindset to have! But the one thing that students do have trouble with is maintaining this mentality. A planner is a great tool to keep you on track and help you stay organized throughout the entire school year.
Here are some of my tips to help you maintain your planner:
- Buy the best type of planner that works for you! This might be common sense, but I don’t think students realize just how many types of planners there are out there! You can get a monthly, weekly, daily, and even hourly planners. If you’re a “big picture” type of person I’d go with the monthly. In contrast, if you like planning your entire day out, I’d go with the hourly. There are lots of combination planners so you’re able to find one that works best for you!
- Color-coat with high lighters or pens. Color coating is a great way to differentiate between classes or your hierarchy in your “To Do” list. What I like to do is get a different color for each class and have it correspond with the binder color I use for that class.
- Put all syllabi important information in your planner right away! This way you won’t be having to go back and look for what’s due when. You’ll have one huge syllabus all in one planner.
- Use post-it notes for tentative dates. This way you won’t have to cross any information out and make a mess in your planner. Instead you can just put the post-it note on the new date!
- Have a monthly/weekly/daily focus. My planner has a section built into it that allows me to write in what I want to put my energy into. But this wouldn’t be hard to do in your own. Put it on a post-it note or designate a spot in the “notes” section of your planner.
- If all else fails and you don’t think a physical planner is going to work for you, there is an calendar linked with your CyMail account. This is the perfect paperless place to keep track of due dates, deadlines and meeting times.
- Last but not least, deck your planner out with stickers! Make it personable so that you’ll want to carry it around with you.