3D Printing on Campus
Have a project for class or a personal design that you’d like to get 3D printed? You’re in luck!
The CTLT has three Makerbot Replicator 3D printers available for students to use. They are simple to operate and the cost is pretty reasonable too at only $0.05 per gram of material used, which will depend on the size, fill and detail used in printing.
I recently printed a scale model of a project we completed. It was pretty small, so it only took 45 minutes to print, at a cost of $0.65, not too bad!
Want to try it out? Here’s how:
- Save your 3D model as an STL, OBJ, or WRL file type
- Go to the CTLT in 0640 Lagomarcino Hall (north end of the building in the basement)
- Load your file into the Makerbot software
- Get an estimate of printing time and material use
- Ask an associate for help setting up the printer and getting a quote of the cost
- Come back later to pick up and pay for model
It’s that simple!
The semester hours are:
- MONDAY – THURSDAY: 8 am – 8 pm
- FRIDAY: 8 am – 5 pm
- SATURDAY: CLOSED
- SUNDAY: 1 pm – 6 pm
The CTLT also offers poster printing, lamination and other resources for students. Check out the CTLT website for more information.